Connect with us

Somali News

Fewer migrants are crossing the Mediterranean than last year. But almost as many are dying.

Published

on

An estimated 1,344 people have been reported dead or missing at sea so far this year, while about 53,000 made it across, according to the United Nations.

The total number of migrant crossings is down dramatically compared to the same period in 2016, when close to 200,000 made the full journey. But the death count is virtually the same.

What’s making these sea journeys more dangerous?

One reason is that more people are taking the longer, riskier central Mediterranean route, from the coast of war-torn Libya to Italy. There was a 33 percent increase in people taking this route from January through April, compared to the same period last year.

The much safer and shorter sea crossing from Turkey to Greece has been largely closed off since a controversial deal between the European Union and Turkey in March 2016.

Not only that, traffickers in Libya are filling flimsy boats with a greater number of people to make more money — an average of 100 to 150 people per vessel. The boats cannot take the strain of all those passengers and many fall apart or capsize.

Libya is the main transit point for people traveling from across North Africa to reach Europe. Reports of abuse, torture and sexual violence against migrants are commonplace in the country, carried out by smugglers and authorities alike.

All of this amounts to a perilous journey from start to end for desperate people fleeing instability, poverty and war.

There simply aren’t enough rescue missions operating in the Mediterranean.

Since the EU cut back its rescue operation in 2014 to focus on deterring migrants from trying to reach Europe, NGOs and volunteer groups have stepped in to fill the gap. But they face an overwhelming task.

The international charity Save the Children says it has rescued more than 3,500 people this year from the Mediterranean Sea. Five-hundred of them were unaccompanied children.

Its ship — the Vos Hestia — is equipped to carry around 300 people on its deck. A little over a week ago, it made its biggest rescue of the year, taking more than 500 people on board.

“Until the EU provides safe and legal routes to Europe, both for those in need of international protection and for other migrants, people — including children and families — will continue to risk their lives to reach Europe,” says Gillian Moyes, Save the Children’s search and rescue team leader aboard the Vos Hestia.

“The root causes are complex and many but our response is simple: We must stop children drowning. The Mediterranean Sea cannot continue to be a mass unmarked grave for children.”

Commenting on the recent drownings, earlier this month United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees Filippo Grandi called for a “redoubling of efforts to solve conflicts, especially in Africa; and using development resources much more strategically to reduce poverty, to mitigate the effects of climate change, and to support countries hosting large numbers of refugees, as well as transit countries.”

“This is a matter of life or death, which appeals to our most basic sense of humanity and should not be called into question,” he added.

Richard Hall reported this story in the Mediterranean from aboard the Vos Hestia, a boat chartered by Save the Children for their search and rescue operations at sea. You can follow along on Instagram and watch his recent Facebook Live video below.

Somali News

Kansas Trio Convicted in Plot to Bomb Somali Immigrants

Published

on

WICHITA, Kan. — A federal jury on Wednesday convicted three men of plotting to bomb an apartment complex where Somali immigrants lived and worshiped in Garden City, Kan., giving prosecutors a victory at a time when threats against religious and racial minorities are rising nationally.

“These defendants conspired to build a bomb, blow up a building and murder every single man, woman and child inside,” Tony Mattivi, a federal prosecutor, told jurors during closing statements.

The men, Curtis Allen, Gavin Wright and Patrick Stein, all of whom are white, appeared stoic as the verdicts were read. They face up to life in prison when they are sentenced in June.

The jury of six men and six women deliberated for about seven hours over two days.

Defense lawyers tried to convince jurors that their clients were manipulated by the F.B.I., and had been unfairly targeted for exercising their rights to own guns and speak freely.

“He was a member of a militia. He loved his guns. This was a lifestyle,” Melody Brannon, a lawyer for Mr. Allen, told the mostly white jury. “The government tried to criminalize that lifestyle.”

The trial, which played out over about a month in Wichita, focused on a period before the 2016 presidential election when a paid F.B.I. informant infiltrated a militia group that prosecutors said included the three men. Prosecutors, who built much of their case around secret recordings that the informant made of the men talking, said that they planned to carry out the bombing on Nov. 9 of that year, a day after voters selected a president.

“They wanted to send a message to the people living there that they’re not welcome in Garden City, they’re not welcome in southwest Kansas, they’re not welcome in the United States,” Mr. Mattivi said.

The men, who called themselves “the Crusaders,” were arrested about four weeks before Election Day and charged with conspiring to use a weapon of mass destruction and conspiracy against rights, which the Justice Department considers a hate crime. Mr. Wright was also charged with lying to the F.B.I. The three men were found guilty on all counts against them.

The trial came amid a national escalation in threats against religious and racial minorities, especially Muslims, according to the F.B.I. and organizations that monitor hate crimes.

“It is now approaching the level of hate violence against the same communities that we saw in the immediate wake of the 9/11 attacks,” said Suman Raghunathan, executive director of SAALT: South Asian Americans Leading Together, a national advocacy organization.

Prosecutors portrayed the Kansas defendants as aspiring domestic terrorists who joined a militia and decided to bomb the Somali apartments after considering other attacks — on elected officials, churches that helped refugees and landlords who rented to immigrants.

Defense lawyers, who criticized the F.B.I.’s investigation throughout the trial as government overreach, suggested that their clients had merely engaged in idle talk inspired partly by the 2016 election. Expletive-filled recordings of the men played before the jury contained repugnant, bigoted language, the defense lawyers said, but not evidence of a federal crime.

“It is not morally right to hold such hate, but it is not legally wrong,” said James Pratt, a lawyer for Mr. Stein, who acknowledged that his client referred to Muslims as “cockroaches.” Mr. Stein referred to himself, the recordings showed, as an “Orkin man,” referencing the pest extermination company.

“We all have the right to hate,” Mr. Pratt added.

A bombing never took place, and no one was physically injured in Garden City, a point defense lawyers emphasized to jurors. They said the men lacked the ability or commitment to carry out such an attack, and that the F.B.I.’s paid informant helped steer the plot and suggested targeting the apartments.

Garden City is a racially diverse place about 200 miles west of Wichita with around 27,000 residents. Many Somalis and other immigrants have moved to the area in recent years to work at a nearby meatpacking plant.

The apartment complex that prosecutors say was targeted is a center of Somali life in Garden City. Many refugee families live in units of the complex; others come to pray in a makeshift mosque inside one unit.

Moussa Elbayoumy, who chairs the board of the Kansas chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, said the verdict affirmed his faith in the justice system.

Many Muslims he talked to in Garden City had not followed the trial closely, Mr. Elbayoumy said, but had hoped for convictions.

“The instance was troubling, was concerning. People were afraid,” Mr. Elbayoumy said in a phone interview. “But after that, they put this behind them and moved on with their lives.”

Continue Reading

Somali News

What’s triggering tension between Somalia and the UAE? | Inside Story

Published

on

Somalia has been in conflict for much of the past 25 years. But the horn of Africa nation has been showing signs of recovery.
And that’s provoked interest from many regional countries including the United Arab Emirates.

The Gulf nation has been conducting a military training programme and running a hospital in the capital Mogadishu.

But, the UAE’s government has now abruptly ended its involvement on both those fronts after a series of recent diplomatic disagreements.

So, why are the UAE and other regional countries interested in Somalia?

Continue Reading

Somali News

AMISOM asks for more police officers in Somalia

Published

on

DAILY MONITOR — KISMAYO- The African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM) has asked partners states to contribute more police officers to expand its operations in the war-torn country.

The call was made on Tuesday by Ms Christine Alalo, the acting AMISOM police commissioner while receiving 145 police officers from Sierra Leone.

The deployment of the force from Sierra Leone brings to 160 the number of police officers from Sierra Leone.

“We expect other police contributing countries to do the same because we are expanding our operations. We are moving away from Mogadishu,” Ms Alalo said.

Apart from Sierra Leone, other police contributing countries in Somalia are; Uganda, Kenya, Nigeria, Zambia and Ghana.

Early this month, over 500 Ugandan Police Officers sat for interviews that would see successful ones join police operations in Somalia.

Ms Alalo said since police operations will be extended to other federal states and districts, it is inevitable to increase the number of police units.

Between 2015 and 2016, AMISOM trained 600 Somali officers in Jubbaland, but Ms Alalo said that number has to be reinforced.

Meanwhile, the AMISOM Assistant Inspector General of Police, Mustafa Solomon Kambeh, said the police officers would be deployed in Jubbaland and Kismayo.

Mr Kambeh doubles as the Contingent Commander of the Sierra Leonean FPU in Mogadishu urged the forces to stick to the AMISOM mandate of pacifying Somalia and its regional states.

The Formed Police Unit is charged with public order management, protection of facilities and support to police operations that require a concerted response.

The United Nations Security Council Resolution adopted in 2017 approved an increase to a maximum of 1,040 police officers serving under the African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM)

AMISOM is committed to redoubling its efforts to train and recruit more police officers during the transition period as it prepares to hand over security responsibilities to the Somali security forces as stipulated in the Security Council Resolution.

Continue Reading

TRENDING